Owing to the recent approval of therapies, such as Elzonris®, Pluvicto®, there has been a substantial increase in the R&D activity to evaluate the use of novel antibody therapy candidates for the treatment of a variety of disease indications
Roots Analysis has announced the addition of “Novel Antibody Therapies Market, 2022-2035” report to its list of offerings.
Antibodies are the key components of immune system that bind to specific markers on cells or tissues, thereby offering first line of defense against multiple disorders. This has opened a new target space for the development of antibody therapeutics and techniques, facilitating tools to uniquely distinct malignantly transformed cells from regular cells.
Key Market Insights
Presently, 140+ novel antibody therapies have been marketed / are being evaluated across different phases of development for the treatment of various disease indications
Till date, five novel antibody therapies have been marketed and close to 80% of the pipeline candidates are under clinical evaluation. It is worth mentioning that most of the drug candidates are immunotoxins (34%), followed by immunocytokines (32.5%). Majority of these therapies are under clinical trials for the treatment of lymphoma (22) followed by solid tumors (19) and leukemia (18).
Around 60 industry and non-industry players are engaged in the development of novel antibody therapies, globally
North America has emerged as the hub, featuring the presence of approximately 60% developers. The market is currently dominated by the presence of small players (27%). Interestingly, 16% of the players are big pharma companies engaged in the development of such therapeutics for multiple target indications.
More than 550 clinical trials have been registered for the evaluation of novel antibody therapies, worldwide
The clinical research activity, in terms of number of trials registered, is reported to have increased at a steady CAGR of 8%, during the period 2016-2021. Of the total number of trials registered, close to 60% have already been completed, while 25% of the studies are actively recruiting participants.
Close to 600 articles related to novel antibody therapies, have been published in reputed scientific journals, since 2017
More than 95% of the articles focused on novel antibody therapies were published post-2019. Popular journals that have published multiple articles include Cancer, Frontiers in Immunology, International Journal of Molecular Sciences and Scientific Reports.
Over 4,600 patents have been filed / granted related to novel antibody therapies, since 2017
More than 1,150 patents were filed / granted in 2021. Further, around 56% of the patents were filed in North America. It is worth highlighting that majority of the patents were granted / filed by prominent industry / non-Industry players, such as Novartis, Hoffmann la Roche, Immatics Biotechnologies and Pfizer.
Partnership activity in this field has increased at a CAGR of over 55%, since 2018
Around 50% of the reported deals were established post-2021, indicating a recent rise in the interest of players engaged in this domain. It is worth highlighting that majority of the agreements were supply agreements (19%), followed by product development and commercialization agreements (15%).
North America is anticipated to capture larger share of the phase III novel antibody therapies market by 2035
Around 40% of the market revenues are likely to be generated from the sales of drug candidates being evaluated in phase III for bladder cancer. Further, therapies designed for intravenous route of administration are expected to occupy close to 70% of the overall market.
Key Questions Answered
- Who are the leading industry and non-industry players engaged in the development of novel antibody therapies?
- Which novel antibody therapies are being developed across early and late stages of development?
- Which geographies are the most active in conducting clinical trials related to novel antibody therapies?
- What is the focus area of various publications related to the novel antibody therapies?
- Which are the leading funding institutes / centers supporting the research related to novel antibody therapies?
- What kind of partnership models are commonly adopted by industry stakeholders?
- What are the different initiatives undertaken by big pharma players for the development of novel antibody therapies in the recent past?
- How is the current and future market opportunity, related to novel antibody therapies likely to be distributed across key market segments?
A detailed market forecast, featuring analysis of the current and projected future opportunity across key market segments (listed below)
Target disease Indication(s)
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Advanced / Metastatic soft-tissue sarcoma
- Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma
- Bladder Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Graft-versus-host disease
Type of Novel Antibody
- Radioisotope immunoconjugates
Type of Therapy
- Combination Therapy
- Route of Administration
- North America
Key companies covered in the report
- Actinium Pharmaceuticals
- Molecular Templates
- Sesen bio
- Telix Pharmaceuticals
- Y-mAbs Therapeutics
The ‘Novel Antibody Therapies Market, 2022-2035: Distribution by Type of Novel Antibody (Immunocytokines, Immunotoxins and Radioisotope Immunoconjugates), Target Indication (Acute Myeloid Leukemia, Bladder Cancer, Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma, Graft-versus-host disease, Melanoma Prostate Cancer and Soft-tissue Sarcoma), Type of Therapy (Combination Therapy and Monotherapy), Route of Administration (Intratumoral, Intravenous and Intravesical), and Key Geographical Regions (North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific): Industry Trends and Global Forecasts, 2022-2035’ report features an extensive study on the current market landscape, offering an informed opinion on the likely evolution of the novel antibody therapies in the treatment of various diseases. The study presents an in-depth analysis, highlighting the diverse capabilities of players engaged in this domain, across different geographies. In addition to other elements, the report includes:
- A general overview of novel antibody therapies including information on the different types of novel antibody therapies. In addition, the chapter presents details on the novel antibody therapies (antibody-directed enzyme prodrug therapy, TCR like antibodies, radioisotope immunoconjugates, immunotoxins, intracellular antibody and immunocytokines). It also features information on developmental approaches of novel antibody therapies, limitations, and future of novel antibody therapies.
- A detailed review of the current market landscape of immunocytokines, based on several relevant parameters such as status of development (phase III, phase II, phase I and preclinical stage), mechanism of action (inhibition, modulation and stimulation), type of cytokine, type of antigen / format, dosing frequency, type of therapy (monotherapy and combination therapy), mode of administration (injection and infusion), route of administration (intravenous, intratumoral and subcutaneous), type of therapy and target disease indication(s).
- A detailed review of the current market landscape of immunotoxins based on several relevant parameters such as status of development (marketed, BLA registration, phase III, phase II phase I and preclinical stage), mechanism of action (inhibition, modulation and stimulation), type of toxin, dosing frequency, type of therapy (monotherapy and combination therapy), mode of administration (injection and infusion), immunotoxin target, route of administration (intravenous, intravesical, intraperitoneal, intratumoral and intrathecal), and target disease indication(s).
- A detailed review of the current market landscape of radioisotope immunoconjugates based on several relevant parameters such as status of development (marketed, phase III, phase II phase I and preclinical stage), type of radioisotope, route of administration (Intravenous, intracerebroventricular and intraperitoneal), type of therapy (monotherapy and combination therapy), dosing frequency, mode of administration (injection and infusion) and target disease indication(s). In addition, the chapter includes a list of novel antibody therapies with special designations. Further, the chapter presents a list of players developing novel antibody therapies along with information on their year of establishment, company size and location of headquarters.
- Elaborate profiles of the key players engaged in the development of novel antibody therapies (shortlisted on the basis of number of drugs). Each profile features a brief overview of the company, its financial information (if available), details on its product portfolio and a section on recent developments and an informed future outlook.
- An in-depth analysis of completed, ongoing and planned clinical studies of various novel antibody therapies, highlighting prevalent trends across different parameters, such as current trial status, trial registration year, trial phase, enrolled patient population, type of sponsor / collaborator, study design, leading industry and non-industry players (in terms of number of trials conducted), key indication(s), type of treatment, type of drug, emerging focus areas and regional distribution of trials.
- A detailed review of more than 570 peer-reviewed, scientific articles related to research on novel antibody therapies, which have been published since 2017, based on parameters, such as year of publication, type of article, emerging focus areas, top authors, key journals, most popular publisher and copyright holders.
- An insightful analysis of the patents filed / granted for novel antibody therapies, between 2017- 2021, based on various relevant parameters, such as patent publication year, type of patent, geographical location, CPC symbols, type of applicant, patent age, emerging focus areas, leading individual assignees, industry and non-industry players (in terms of number of patents granted / filed) and patent characteristics. In addition, the chapter includes a detailed patent benchmarking and an insightful valuation analysis.
- An analysis of the partnerships that have been established in this domain since 2018, covering instances of acquisition, clinical trial agreement, commercialization agreement, distribution agreement, antibody manufacturing agreement, product development agreement, product development and commercialization agreement, research and development agreement, supply agreement and other relevant type of deals.
- An analysis of big pharma players engaged in the field of novel antibody therapies, featuring various insightful representations, such as spider web analysis, Harvey ball analysis and wind rose chart, based on several relevant parameters, such as number of therapeutics under development, type of novel antibody, status of development, number of target indications, number of partnerships, number of patents and years of experience.